Sunday, October 26, 2008

Forums

This is off topic...

I've been trolling the technical forums a lot recently while learning more about Windows Presentation Foundation, which I'm using in a little project. I've noticed certain commonalities in all forums that bug me...which I will now list...just giving you enough opportunity to ignore this entry.

For one, certain forums award points to posters. Sometimes this leads to a prize of some sort poster. I suppose this is an incentive to get people to participate. What bugs me is when a poster new or old ends the post with "If this answers your question be sure to mark it as answered." I like the people who don't care about the points and just help answer the question.

I also don't like the posters who berate the question asker...especially if it is obvious English is a second language. It's just uncalled for. On the other hand, I don't like it when with the question asker writes "URGENT!!!!", or when they don't receive a response in an hour post "HELLO? NO ANSWER!!!!??" But I don't think it warrants berating the question asker.

Finally, I don't like the forum lecturers. These are the people that instead of helping or answering questions lecture the question asker or poster about how to post. Kind of like what I'm doing right now...no, no, it's different, really it's different. :)

Basically, I wish every forum could be like CartoTalk where the posters love the topic and helping people, and everyone is polite and friendly. I just don't get why some posters treat the question askers like they are waisting the poster's time. Don't volunteer your time if you're going to be a jerk about it.

Just my 2 cents.

No comments: